Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dear Diary

 
   SORRY I haven't written in a while. Actually, this is the first time I've started a Diary, isn't it? Funny how I wanted to since I was a child. I always thought it was so cool. It showed someone was articulate and capable of organizing their thoughts. It showed that they were growing up.

   Writing up a Diary (or should I call it a Journal?) was a dream of mine.

   It's also funny how long ago that dream began, without any real start. After all, this is my first Diary entry. Life goes on and passes by faster and faster, like the poet said: merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily... life is but a dream. And before you know it, you've reached a point where the stream has become a rushing river and you can't find the time to do the things that you want to do.

   Eventually, you find a job, enter college, get married, have children, buy a home, pay your taxes, purchase insurance and among all these things, the dream of writing a simple diary gets smaller and smaller.

   Have I become too busy or too lazy to follow my dreams?

   When I get home from work, immediate satisfaction beckons. There's tv shows to watch, video games to play, books to read and on and on. And the dreams of life shrink while the river rushes on.

   So, dear Diary, what am I to do? I know I don't want to reach the end of my life, and become an old man filled with regret. I want to take a leap of faith.

   You're just a Diary, so I don't expect you ever wanted to do something great. I don't suppose you ever had a dream, yourself. But maybe, in the years to come, someone else will find you and read these words, and find it in themselves to make the time for dreams amid the hastening current of life. And to that someone, whoever you are, remember that time is fleeting and dreams are shrinking as life like a vapor rises quickly and disappears. I wrote in my Diary these words:

   Carpe Diem
      "Seize the Day"

  ~norton






No comments:

Post a Comment