Thursday, September 20, 2012

Christian Thoughts #002: on "Earthbound"

 

   RELEASED in mid 90's on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Earthbound was an unorthodox RPG. I don't remember when I first got a hold of the cartridge, but I do remember feeling some disappointment at its mundane, lackluster, cartoony graphics. I used to complain, as I held the controller in my hands and stared at the tv for hours, that it looked like a kid had drawn up the characters. But I didn't know any better. Earthbound is a unique and endearing story.

   The game introduces the player to Ness (of Super Smash Bros. fame), the hero of the tale, as well as his friends  Paula, Jeff and... Poo. Yes. That's not a typo.

   These four children are united across vast distances to overcome the dangers of wild animals, crazy neighbors, moving plants, monsters, zombies, robots and aliens on an adventure to confront and defeat a mysterious nemesis known as Giygas.

   Fast forward to the end of the game. Giygas, the alien mastermind, turns out to be a mindless embodiment of evil. The final battle is memorable. Giygas appears as nothing more than a swirling background, fetus-like, red, accompanied by horrific nightmare-sounds. Go and look it up. You know you want to. But close your eyes... jk, here it is!

 
Ewwwww!!!

  Pokey Minch, the cruel-hearted neighbor of Ness, informs the player: "Giygas cannot think rationally any more, and he isn't even aware of what he is doing now. His own mind was destroyed by his incredible power. What an all-mighty idiot! Yep, that's what he is! Heh heh heh heh... and you... you will be... just another meal to him!"

  What-the-purgatory!

  That's not fair! We're just a bunch of kids! What is your youthful cast of characters supposed to do in the face of such power? What hope could they possibly have? Sure, one of them is a genius and another is named... Poo... but what is that in comparison with pure evil and sheer strength on a wickedly cosmological scale?

  The answer is: pray.

  Y'see, each of the four friends have unique abilities. Ness has unique psionic abilities. Jeff can operate items like bottlerockets and insecticide spray. Poo can mirror enemy abilities. And Paula can pray.

  Now during the bulk of the game, her ability to pray is underrated. But when the finale begins, when the four friends have braved the horrors of Giygas and stand face to face with ultimate evil, it's not the powers of the three boys which brings victory to the forces of good, but the seemingly insignificant and invaluable skill of Paula's prayer.

  Each time the player chooses this ability, Giygas suffers an increasing amount of damage. The prayers call out of the darkness, reaching other characters which the four friends met during their quest, who then reach out with their hearts and their prayers as well. Finally, for the finishing blow, Paula calls out to the player. It's surreal. And it's with that final blow that Giygas fades away, ultimate evil is defeated and good triumphs because of the oft-overlooked ability of prayer.

  James writes "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much" (NKJV). He goes on to write that the prophet Elijah was just a regular man, with a human nature like our own, yet he prayed earnestly and wild things happened. It didn't rain for three and a half years.

  Don't ask me how prayer works. It does. The crazy thing is that it does. Prayer that is submissive to and alinged with the will of God is effective. The good book says it tears down strongholds.

  As human beings in our human world, we can sometimes face tremendous difficulties: financial, relational, political, national, professional or familial difficulties. Compound that with the realization that we are human beings in not just a human world, but a spiritual world. The Bible describes the Christian life as being one of warfare against beings that are not flesh and blood. Satan and his fallen angels are a powerful force of evil influence in our world, just like the character of Giygas and his armies.

  So what is the good Christian to do in the face of such power? What hope could they possibly have? Are we to place our focus on greater education, our hopes in better technology, connectivity or planning? Are we to search out the wisdom of man, the best and newest ideas, the best and newest formulas for success?

  No, we are to say our prayers. Prayer strikes the winning blow. Prayer causes demons to tremble. Against prayer, men are helpless.

  The question is: do I overlook prayer, one of the greatest weapons in the Christian arsenal? Do I consider those prayerful words as going up into the air to nothing? Do I think it's falling on deaf, or worse, uncaring ears? Heck, sometimes I just flat out didn't want to. So do I call it a waste of time? Or do I take hold of prayer with both hands? Will I?

   In the game of Earthbound, I esteemed prayer as nothing. I didn't give it two seconds of thought. But I needed it to finish the quest.

   In my life, I have esteemed prayer lowly. Often sleep or friends, breakfast or dinner, entertainment, events and many other things took it's place. There is a challenge here in all these words.

   As a better man once said:

"The power of prayer has never been tried to its full capacity in any church. If we want to see mighty wonders of divine grace and power wrought in the place of weakness, failure and disappointment, let the whole church answer God's standing challenge: 'Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knows not'."
        - J. Hudson Taylor

Finish the quest.

                                       ~norton



4 comments:

  1. This is the most perfect piece of work. Encouraging, inspiring, deep, and disgustingly nostalgic. That final battle has always been my favorite of all time. It's so heart engaging. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very stimulating to the thoughts. Excellent writing.

    I myself have no religion as of now, but I do think, after playing Earthbound, that calling to your friends itself can be a higher force, even if it isn't following a religion.

    I too, never took prayer very seriously. I choose to believe that instead of religious undertones, even if they are intended to be those, that it's simply a cry for help that is heard by someone you love or trust, and those are connections.

    I apologize if I make little sense, it's early morning, and I am tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your kind words! It's comments like yours that keep me going. I want to stimulate thoughts.

      And I totally see what you're saying! In fact, I think you perfectly described the gist of prayer: a simple petition, a cry for help from someone you love or trust. This is what prayer is. And religion or not, there is One who has made Himself available for the love and trust of mankind. God is waiting and listening for our pleas. It is this connection which makes prayer the force that it is.

      "Call to Me, and I will answer you..." Jeremiah 33:3

      My prayer is that in your darkest hour (or even before then, why wait?) that you will test God's words and find them true.

      "And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13

      Delete