Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Concerning Books #004: a Diamond in the Rough

 

   TONIGHT, a friend and I decided to shoot down to Los Angeles and check out a used bookstore. We had difficulty enough explaining why we were there to the busboy at the restaurant. Don't worry about it. The bookstore was selling everything for a dollar. That's enough reason for me.

   But it was amid the old and worn paperbacks, the tired embossed covers and the gaudy-colored titles that I came across a few gems. And let me tell you, there was lots of garbage to sort through. We kept asking ourselves how some of those books even got published at all. I found one called the Three-Legged Hooch Dancer.

   Do not Google that.

   I warned you.

   ...After much digging, I unburied this:


   It wasn't my most significant find, but I'm still jazzed to read it. No Man's Land was the story arc they used as a partial basis for the film the Dark Knight Rises.

   I also discovered a hardcover collection of St. Augustine's writings, another collection of Milton's, as well as Shardik by Adams, Ozma of Oz by Baum, the Lost World by Crichton and Dune Messiah by Herbert. All a buck each.

   Well worth driving the 405 at night!



No comments:

Post a Comment